Re: Inline elements with %block as content vs. PRE

In article <3.0.3.32.19970824040252.011a6de4@emf.net>,
"E. Stephen Mack" <estephen@emf.net> wrote:
> And I understand why OBJECT, BUTTON, and IFRAME should be considered
> inline elements (for the same reason that IMG is an inline element).

I don't. What would be wrong with defining OBJECT and IFRAME to
be block-level elements? Text flow around the rendered element
content could be handled by a stylesheet, or even analogous to
<TABLE ALIGN=LEFT>, which is block-level too.

Alternatively, why should PRE be able to contain OBJECT? That hasn't
been explained back when HTML 3.2 added APPLET, which unlike IMG was
permitted inside PRE. All three elements basically need to occupy
some amount of pixels when rendered as intended, and that conflicts
with the concept of PRE. At least, that's what I was given as the reason
why PRE may not contain IMG.

--
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/>