Re: Disturbing IE 4.0pp2 behavior for lang="en"

Misha Wolf <misha.wolf@reuters.com> wrote:
> Once you have tried this, please report the result to this list.  If it
> is a bug, it's a very serious one and I would want to bring it to the
> attention of my contacts in the IE team.

Here is a minimal (corrected!) example.

First, run IE 4.0 pp2.  Select the UTF font by using the
View | Fonts | Universal Alphabet (UTF-8) command.

Then view this HTML document:

<HTML>
<TITLE>Entities</TITLE>
<BODY>
<P>
&trade; &radic; &beta;
<P LANG="EN">
&trade; &radic; &beta;
</BODY>
</HTML>

The only difference between these two paragraphs is that the
second specifies a language with the LANG attribute.  The
first paragraph will display correctly, but only the trademark
symbol is displayed in the second paragraph.  (The other two
entities are displayed with a hollow box.)

The bug also occurs if the LANG is specified in the
<HTML> tag or the <BODY> tag.
--
E. Stephen Mack <estephen@emf.net>    http://www.emf.net/~estephen/