ONMOUSEOVER vs. ONMOUSEMOVE

E. Stephen Mack (estephen@emf.net)
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 06:42:43 -0700

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 06:42:43 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
From: "E. Stephen Mack" <estephen@emf.net>
Subject: ONMOUSEOVER vs. ONMOUSEMOVE

In the HTML 4.0 draft for scripts [1], there is this description
of two intrinsic events:

>onmouseover = script
>     The onmouseover event occurs when the pointing device is moved over
>     an element. This attribute may be used with most elements.

The description of onmousemove, directly afterwards, is identical:

>onmousemove = script
>     The onmousemove event occurs when the pointing device is moved over
>     an element. This attribute may be used with most elements.

Is there any semantic difference between these two events?  If not, the
spec should say so, and I wonder why both events are included.  If there
is a different, the spec should define it.

[1] scripts.html#h-9.2.1.4
--
E. Stephen Mack <estephen@emf.net>    http://www.emf.net/~estephen/