HTML: Dazed and Confused

Francis Cottier (
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 07:42:16 -0700

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 07:42:16 -0700
From: Francis Cottier <>
Subject: HTML: Dazed and Confused

HTML usage is rapidly degenerating into a real mess with browser
incompatibilities, interoperability and validation issues. THe driving
force seems to be towards presentation and appearance rather than

It is my understanding that the W3C does issue HTML standards (2.0, 3.0,
3.2 & 4.0) specifically to address these issues but I don't understand
why they are ineffective. For instance :

1) Why do there seem to be two interpretations/implementations of 3.2
(Wilbur & CSS1) ?
2) Why do different HTML validators produce different results when
evaluating the same page against the same standard ?

3) Are the W3C standards written in such an ambiguous manner as to be
virtually useless ?

Francis R. Cottier
Innovation Business Services (
"Solving the Productivity Paradox"
Phone (613) 354-1407 | Fax (613) 354-2291
Napanee, Ontario, Canada