Re: THEAD & TFOOT for columns

Jordan Reiter (jreiter@mail.slc.edu)
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 23:23:52 -0400

Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 23:23:52 -0400
To: Peter Flynn <pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie>, neil@bigpic.com
From: Jordan Reiter <jreiter@mail.slc.edu>
Cc: jft@Psychology.Nottingham.AC.UK, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: THEAD & TFOOT for columns

At 3:15 PM -0000 8/15/97, Peter Flynn wrote:
>Neil writes:
>   I think it's a great idea.  More importantly however it points out
>   one fundamental flaw with HTML.  Nothing in the language was meant
>   for horizontal scrolling, you can look all over the place in the
>   language to find errors if horizontal scrolling is required.
>
>   HTML as far as I can tell was designed for Portrait layout and
>
>You're barking up the wrong tree. HTML wan't designed to do any kind
>of layout. That's a matter for browser and stylesheets. Nothing in
>HTML prohibits or encourages either portrait or landscape designs.
>
>///Peter

I don't know.  The existence of THEAD and TFOOT with the absence of any
kind of left or right defined permanent column seems to suggest a mindset
that is vertical in nature.  In addition, HTML 4.0's current specs, which
include left and right floating for objects, also suggest a vertical
leaning (no pun intended).  Whether or not HTML's original intent or
content is being totally smeared by the emphasis on its use for layout has
become somewhat of a theological issue, with discussions leading to a great
deal of bloodshed and/or guilt, but very few conversions on either side.
The point is that HTML is now being developed, in tandem with Stylesheets,
to provide information of a visual nature, and it's important to insure
that all forms of layout can somehow be integrated.

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]