Re: style sheets, dropped capitals and floatimg text

Peter Belesis (
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 23:35:38 +0300

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 23:35:38 +0300
From: Peter Belesis <>
To: "Chris Wilson (PSD)" <>
Subject: Re: style sheets, dropped capitals and floatimg text

Chris Wilson (PSD) wrote:
> Hmm, well, you're correct in what we (MSIE) require.  As to your other
> issue, I would not expect any of the permutations you mention to work,
> except "font: 36pt bold;" (which won't be bold, necessarily - that's "a
> font from the family named "bold", 36pt size").  The CSS 'font' property
> REQUIRES a font-size, and requires it after any weight, style or variant
> in the 'font' property.
> You can say, for both browsers,
> <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
>     .bigGuy {
>         float: left;
>         font-size: 500%;
>         width: 1em;
>     }
> </STYLE>
> Be forewarned, however, I've seen some serious weirdness in Navigator 4

did you try this, Chris? I did, before my orig. letter. That's why I
changed the size to points. MSIE seems to do it correctly. NS4.01a Win95
delivers something between 2000% and 3000%. That's why I avoided *%*. It
comes back to the same thing. With beta software (let's not kid
ourselves, in a perfect world NS 4.01a would be called NS 4b8) we go for
what works exactly the same in both, which is still my example. Don't
you agree? Try it.

 Peter Belesis            Dynamic HTML Lab