Re: JUSTIFY

jptxs <jptxs@idt.net> wrote

Peter Flynn <pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie> wrote:
> No, it's not there, because HTML 3.2 and 4 document and codify
> existing practice, not future use.

Actually, the draft for HTML 4.0 now allows JUSTIFY as a valid attribute
for ALIGN, although the ALIGN attribute is deprecated [1].

In addition, CSS-1 allows justify as a value for the text-align
property as Hakon said.

> What you're looking for is <p align="justify">, right? And <div
> align="justify">? Do browsers support these?

I tested this on IE 4.0 pp2 and Navigator 4.01 for Windows 95.  Both
support <P ALIGN="JUSTIFY">.

But this is better:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Fully Justified</TITLE>
<STYLE type="text/css">
P.justify { text-align: justify }
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P CLASS="justify">Well, here's a fine paragraph or so that might really be
appearing in a different and interesting way.  As far as you can see.
Beautiful angel.  We have chosen shame and will get war thrown in as
well.  You got every rerun.  As far as you can see.  Professional Widow.
</BODY>
</HTML>

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> I believe the 4.0 browsers support this.

Yes, that's the case on Windows 95 at least.  (PP1 did not support it,
but PP2 does.)

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970708/present/graphics.html#h-8.2.1.2
--
E. Stephen Mack <estephen@emf.net>    http://www.emf.net/~estephen/