Re: Images and formatting of lists, keywords in <a>

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> It has become quite common to use some graphical dots in unumbered
> lists. My university has begun using it in the graphical profile
> (which is a profile I dislike) at http://www.uio.no/
> I haven't been using it, but there are instances where it would be
> allright I think to have. Therefore, I would like to propose a new tag
> for <ul>, src (or img, imgsrc or something), so for example a list with
> green dots could be  <ul src="greendot.gif">.
> Normal dots should be displayed before the dot is loaded, or by
> non-graphical browsers. If the type-attribute is used, it would be the
> alternate "text".
>
> We could, of course, take this further, and make <li> have a src
> attribute too. Some might think this is taking it too far, but I have
> a typical use for it. I am a norwegian, and host quite a few articles
> in both norwegian and english. I usually indicate what language the
> document that a link points to by a tiny flag somewhere. It would have
> been very convienient if I could use <ul> and <li src="enflag.gif">
> for this purpose.
>
> It should be possible to make this work with <ol> as well. Would it be
> possible load images after a pattern, using wildcards? If you had a
> set if files, say no1.gif, no2.gif, no3.gif etc. and you gave the
> <ol src="no*.gif">. The first <li> would display no1.gif, the second
> no2.gif an so on.

Much of this was part of the late lamented HTML 3.0 which just never
caught on because the vendors didn't support it.  This would be nice to
add back in...

> And now, to the format. If you have a long list of say, names (they are
> normally not so long), it tends to take up a lot of space. It would
> often be desireable to brake them up in coloumns. Today, it is
> possible using tables to get the format
> 	1.	2.	3.
> 	4.	5.	6.
> 	7.	8.	9.

If you do it this way, you would be unable to use OL (at least properly),
so you'd be putting the numbers in yourself.

> I feel it is a little awkward to do it this way, and I would like to
> have	1.	4.	7.
> 	2.	5.	8.
> 	3.	6.	9.
> as well. Actually, I think a numbered list could be a part of the
> text, like 1. apples 2. oranges 3. other fruit. I think it would be
> good to be able to use <li> in this situation as well. It is always
> nice when you doesn't have to count. I propose yet a few attributes
> to <ol>, format or something like that, the number of coloumns or
> rows.

This is simple to do with tables:
<ol>
<li>Item 1
<li>Item 2
<li>Item 3
</ol>
<ol start=4>
<li>Item 4
<li>Item 5
<li>Item 6
</ol>
<ol start=7>
<li>Item 7
<li>Item 8
<li>Item 9
</ol>

   | Hiram W. Lester, Jr.               | E-Mail: hwlester@pobox.com    |
   | Computer Science                   | Home page:                    |
   | Middle Tennessee State University  |   http://pobox.com/~hwlester/ |