Re: A Proposal from the Disabled Access Community

James Shattuck (
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 15:46:48 -0700

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 15:46:48 -0700
From: James Shattuck <>
Subject: Re: A Proposal from the Disabled Access Community wrote:
> >> compatibility problems. However I note that most browsers ignore a
> >> nonexistent fragment id so:
> >>
> >>     http://www.bogus/etc.html#foobar
> >>
> >> would position to the beginning of the document if there is no foobar
> >> anchor. Overloading # for this use would thus provide graceful fallback
> >
> >I never thought of that, that has some great promise!!
> >>     http://www.bogus/etc.html#foo#bar
> >
> >Can they be made to be that flexible?
> Yes they can. But will this actually get implemented by browsers is a
> different question. I think it is more likely than the search attribute
> on anchors and also more practical. You can carry this around with a URL,
> e.g., to put in a bookmark file. You can't do that with an attribute.
> Basically as far as I could discover there is no written definition of
> what is defined after the #. It looks like it slipped through the cracks
> of writing the standards.

Thanks for the detail, it will help a lot.

My second proposition will have to wait, I have to go out of town for a
week, and I'm not sure how my internet connection will be, so I will be
setting to nowmail on my lists when I leave.  But you may continue to
comment until Tuesday night, or send one to me directly.

Thanks for all your help on this one,
James Alan Shattuck
Shattuck Consulting, Chico, Ca.
System Design/Installation      Repairs/Upgrades        Web Design
Business/Personal               Training                Disabled Access
Born: 9/3/63, Adopted: 7/71 as Anthony Douglas, San Francisco, Ca
Searching for Birth Family
Adoption Page: