Re: Table Syntax (was Re: some more interesting effects ...)

Dan Connolly (
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:00:37 -0500

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:00:37 -0500
From: Dan Connolly <>
To: "Robert Rothenburg 'Walking-Owl'" <>
CC: Simone Demmel <>,
Subject: Re: Table Syntax (was Re: some more interesting effects ...)

Robert Rothenburg 'Walking-Owl' wrote:
> The table specs I've seen say there are no end tags for <tr> and
> to embed tables you'd use another <table>...</table>.

Please cite a source for this misinformation, so that we can
correct it.

The </tr> tag is allowed, but optional:

excerpt from:
        W3C Document Type Definition for the HyperText Markup Language
        version 3.2 as ratified by a vote of W3C member companies.
        For more information on W3C look at  URL

        Date: Tuesday January 14th 1997

        Author: Dave Raggett <>

<!ELEMENT tr - O (th|td)*>

Always, always, always, alwaysAlways, ALWAYS, ALWAYS
(what I mean is, EVERY FRIGGIN TIME!) cite a source.
Just Do It. Do The Right Thing. Keep the Faith.
Cite A Source!

Dan Connolly, W3C Architecture Domain Lead
<> +1 512 310-2971
PGP:EDF8 A8E4 F3BB 0F3C FD1B 7BE0 716C FF21