What ever happened to <person>, <abbrev> etc. tags

Robert Rothenburg 'Walking-Owl' (WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com)
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 03:27:19 +0000

From: "Robert Rothenburg 'Walking-Owl'" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 03:27:19 +0000
Subject: What ever happened to <person>, <abbrev> etc. tags

Somewhere between 3.0 and 3.2 a bunch of 'logical' tags like <person>
<abbrev> and <acronym> were removed.  Seems that they are useful,
especially from the point of view of indexing and searching.  Even if
UA's ignore them in terms of mark-up, it makes sense to keep them in
the standard.

Also... what about the <tab> and <fn> tags? No plans for them either?

A suggested tag while I'm at it: something like <dated> .. </dated>
to note that material between is dated:

  <dated expires="Tue Apr  1 20:00:00 1997 GMT">
    the State of Middle Earth, Apr. 1 at 8pm.</p>

The UA could show expired (or not yet happened) content using a faded
color (perhaps expired-text and future-text color attributes in the

It's no excuse for not updating a page (and using CGI scripts is not
practical for every publisher), but 'visually' the reader can see
that the content on the page is outdated.

"The word to kill ain't dirty     | Robert Rothenburg (WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com)
 I used it in the last line       | http://www.asb.com/usr/wlkngowl/
 but use a short word for lovin'  | Se habla PGP:  Reply with the subject
 and dad you wind up doin' time." | 'send pgp-key' for my public key.