What ever happened to <person>, <abbrev> etc. tags

Robert Rothenburg 'Walking-Owl' (WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com)
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 03:27:19 +0000

From: "Robert Rothenburg 'Walking-Owl'" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 03:27:19 +0000
Subject: What ever happened to <person>, <abbrev> etc. tags

Somewhere between 3.0 and 3.2 a bunch of 'logical' tags like <person>
<abbrev> and <acronym> were removed.  Seems that they are useful,
especially from the point of view of indexing and searching.  Even if
UA's ignore them in terms of mark-up, it makes sense to keep them in
the standard.

Also... what about the <tab> and <fn> tags? No plans for them either?

A suggested tag while I'm at it: something like <dated> .. </dated>
to note that material between is dated:

  <dated expires="Tue Apr  1 20:00:00 1997 GMT">
    the State of Middle Earth, Apr. 1 at 8pm.</p>
  </dated>

The UA could show expired (or not yet happened) content using a faded
color (perhaps expired-text and future-text color attributes in the

It's no excuse for not updating a page (and using CGI scripts is not
practical for every publisher), but 'visually' the reader can see
that the content on the page is outdated.

Rob

Rob

-----
"The word to kill ain't dirty     | Robert Rothenburg (WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com)
 I used it in the last line       | http://www.asb.com/usr/wlkngowl/
 but use a short word for lovin'  | Se habla PGP:  Reply with the subject
 and dad you wind up doin' time." | 'send pgp-key' for my public key.