Re: WHICH HTML-CODE is better to use?

Robert Rothenburg 'Walking-Owl' (WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com)
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 03:27:19 +0000

From: "Robert Rothenburg 'Walking-Owl'" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: Steven Champeon <schampeo@hesketh.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 03:27:19 +0000
Subject: Re: WHICH HTML-CODE is better to use?
CC: www-html@w3.org

On 10 Apr 97 at 10:58, Steven Champeon wrote:
[..]
> directory</a>
>
> If /directory contains a default file, such as "index.html", most
> servers will send back a 302 with the appropriate URL:
>
> Location: http://www.charliesangels.com/directory/index.html

> directory</a>
>
> The markup above will actually retrieve the file itself, instead of
> generating a 302. All because of a trailing slash.
>
> The above is true for Apache, and I would guess for NCSA httpd as
> well. Anyone want to confirm it for me?

I think NCSA will not bother with the 302 and just automatically
return the default when given a URL like http://www.site/directory

Rob

-----
"The word to kill ain't dirty     | Robert Rothenburg (WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com)
 I used it in the last line       | http://www.asb.com/usr/wlkngowl/
 but use a short word for lovin'  | Se habla PGP:  Reply with the subject
 and dad you wind up doin' time." | 'send pgp-key' for my public key.