Re: ISO and HTML

Ingo Macherius (Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de)
Sun, 6 Apr 1997 22:46:52 +0200 (MET DST)

Subject: Re: ISO and HTML
To: Neppster@compuserve.com (Patrick Nepper)
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 22:46:52 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: www-html@w3.org
From: Ingo Macherius <Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de>

> It is not correct to say that omitting DIR and MENU causes problems.
> An easy way to solve this problem would be:
> <UL CLASS="menu|dir">
> </UL>

My feeling about markup languages is: If something could be done as attribute
or tag, do it as tag. In Cougar the number of unique attributes is already
higher than the number of unique tags. Other hypermedia markup languages
(docbook, tei, ...) have a ratio of something like 2-3 unique tags to 1 unique
attribute.
What remains is the question, whether MENU and DIR are needed at all.

	++im
--
Snail : Ingo Macherius // L'Aigler Platz 4 // D-38678 Clausthal-Zellerfeld
Mail  : Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de WWW: http://www.tu-clausthal.de/~inim/