Re: ISO and HTML

Drazen Kacar (Drazen.Kacar@public.srce.hr)
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 00:43:33 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Drazen Kacar <Drazen.Kacar@public.srce.hr>
Subject: Re: ISO and HTML
To: Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de (Ingo Macherius)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 00:43:33 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Neppster@compuserve.com, www-html@w3.org
	 Z{sY8E9(ME.E]'wvNO`$n#,;9Z`tOFcW/nHZq!BOSrM>V?C<5DTw=<$<xxB~RP@

Ingo Macherius wrote:

> My feeling about markup languages is: If something could be done as attribute
> or tag, do it as tag.

Why?

> In Cougar the number of unique attributes is already
> higher than the number of unique tags. Other hypermedia markup languages
> (docbook, tei, ...) have a ratio of something like 2-3 unique tags to 1 unique
> attribute.

So, we could have tag SMALL that is specifically invented for the purpose
of changing font properties. Or we could have SIZE attribute in almost
all other tags. Suppose I need to make a table with somewhat smaller
font. With SMALL (new tag) approach, I need to open and close SMALL in
every TD. With SIZE in TABLE tag, I need only write <TABLE SIZE="-1">.

--
 .-.   .-.    Life is a sexually transmitted disease.