Re: end tags...

Carl Morris (msftrncs@htcnet.com)
Sat, 28 Sep 1996 22:17:35 -0500

From: "Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
To: <www-html@w3.org>, "Abigail" <abigail@ny.fnx.com>
Subject: Re: end tags...
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 22:17:35 -0500

| ++ <H1> Hi!
| ++
| ++ <P> This isn't a headin!
| ++
| ++ <H6> End of document!
| ++
| ++ </HTML>
|
| Because it doesn't know where to end the <H?>. Remember that %text
| may appear in the document. For instance, the browser cannot detect
| whether you meant:
|
| <H6> End</H6>of document
| <H6> End of</H6>document
| <H6> End of document</H6>

Damn do I have to argue?  Clearly, when the browser gets to <P>, the
<H1> must be closed...  its a requirement of proper content... an H1
can not hold a P, to open the P, the H1 must be closed, if the H1 is
not to be closed, the P can not be allowed to be opened...

As I write a parser I take it to be that the <P> should open, its more
likely that the author wanted to start a new block there... and if he
didn't, he can just remove the <P>... simple...

| Don't confuse things that are "obvious" for the human eye with
| unambigious parsable.

I think this is all really simple for computers ... and for the human
eyes that program the stupid computers...  without our brains computers
would be nothing...