HTML enhancement concept...

Walter Torres (
Fri, 27 Sep 96 15:18:46 UT

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 96 15:18:46 UT
From: "Walter Torres" <>
Subject: HTML enhancement concept...

I have "discovered" something very interesting in my wonderings through HTML
and various permeations  of forms.

(Yes, this is basic stuff!)

You can have multiple submit buttons, like so...

    <input type="submit" name="options" value="Yes">
    <input type="submit" name="options" value="No">
    <input type="submit" name="options" value="Maybe">

And if you hit the second button, the browser will return...

This makes it real nice to have an semi-smart cgi to deal with the same data
slightly different depending on which button the user selected.

You can also use an image for a submit button.

So, based upon the above example, ands the fact you can have images as submit
buttons, I can theorize the following...

    <input type="image" scr="/images/yes.gif"    name="options"  value="yes">
    <input type="image" scr="/images/no.gif"     name="options"  value="no">
    <input type="image" scr="/images/maybe.gif"  name="options"

And if you hit the second button (just like the previous), the browser will

But this is not the case. The browser returns...

This is the coordinates where the mouse clicked on the graphic.

This information is fine if I have an image map as a multiple submit buttons,
or a single image supporting a single submit button.

But what if I want multiple images to represent multiple submit buttons?

I could simply modify my submit code as such...

    <input type="image" scr="/images/yes.gif"    name="opt-yes"
    <input type="image" scr="/images/no.gif"     name="opt-no"     value="no">
    <input type="image" scr="/images/maybe.gif"  name="opt-maybe"

With this change in the NAME, I would get the following results...

With this output, I would have to modify my cgi to parse the return string and
toss out anything after period.

Somewhat a minor task, but annoying on the whole.

The reason for this letter is not to simply rant, or to teach you about submit
buttons and images, but to propose a simple solution.

Since the normal button returns the NAME and VALUE in a readable format, and
the image button returns coordinates in a nice parsing fashion, I would like
to propose that the image submit button return both the data types in the
following manner...

This gives us both sides of the coin so developers can use which ever method
they need to use for whatever purpose they need it for.

I hope this will spark some discussion on this subject.

Walter Torres

PS: Forgive me if this is not the proper form for this type of thing.
    I seems like the best place I could find to talk about this issue.