Re: What's allowed in table cells? (fwd)

Peter Flynn (pflynn@curia.ucc.ie)
26 Sep 1996 09:07:22 +0100

Date: 26 Sep 1996 09:07:22 +0100
From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Subject: Re: What's allowed in table cells? (fwd)
To: marnellm@portia.portia.com
Cc: www-html@w3.org

> :>I have been coding for 6 months... there is a point, as you said in
> :>your last message, when it becomes appearent that things aren't
> :>needed...  I have not found validators do do me much good... they only
> :>pick on code that is there for a reason ... I want something to detect
> :>my mistakes...

Only a parser will do this properly. If you _want_ to be able to write

you need to modify the DTD so that it models what you want to do.

PLEASE DON'T FORGET THE HTML DTD IS NOT MEANT TO BE PRESCRIPTIVE
BUT DESCRIPTIVE.

> :>and further more 100% validated code doesn't display
> :>worth crap on MSIE...

I dispute this, but if it were true, it would be MSIE's fault, not HTMLs.

> :>I constantly have to doctor the code between MSIE
> :>and netscape due to their such different rendering ideas ... that alone
> :>breaks HTML ...

No, it breaks the browsers. If you use kosher HTML, it should display
adequately on all browsers: if not, complain to the browser makers.

///Peter