Re: The Final Word On HTML

Paul Prescod (papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 20:42:51 -0400

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 20:42:51 -0400
To: "Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com>,
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: The Final Word On HTML
Cc: "WWW HTML List" <www-html@w3.org>

At 04:36 PM 9/25/96 -0500, Carl Morris wrote:
>| Sean <DREAMING>someone needs to write an HTML doom game soon!
><rdg></DREAMING>
>
>Yea, write doom in basic for god sakes....  or java, or ...  be my
>guest... when you fail...  then tell me those are not languages...

Those langauges are all equivalent. You could write DOOM in basic, Java or
Word for Windows macros. It'll run as slow as hell, but all of the correct
computations will occur. This "turing equivalence" is one of the first, and
most important of all Computer Science results.

HTML cannot do computations. It cannot be "programmed" to do even the most
basic algorithms.

 Paul Prescod