Re: space (reply again, sorry)

Steve Knoblock (knoblock@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:24:43 -0400

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:24:43 -0400
To: Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>www-style@w3.org
From: Steve Knoblock <knoblock@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: space (reply again, sorry)
Cc: www-html@w3.org, boo@best.com

Chris,
I think most people use the &nbsp; in this way as most browsers present it
as a space. But is there an entity (now or proposed) that would meet your
three requirements? Maybe a non-breaking version of an em-space, etc.?

Thanks

Steve

>However, this is not what I and I guess most people assume is meant by a
>non-breaking space. What I understand is:
>
>1) it looks like a space (same width of space, etc
>2) consecutive nbsp are not folded into one
>3) you don't get a line break there
>
>Given the official ISO definition quoted above, I can cite no
>supporting evidence for two of those three assumptions....

   _/     Steve Knoblock
             knoblock@worldnet.att.net
   _/     City Gallery - History of Photography
             http://www.webcom.com/cityg
   _/     Member:  National Stereoscopic Association
            http://www.tisco.com/3d-web/nsa/nsa.htm