Re: space (reply again, sorry)

Carl Morris (msftrncs@htcnet.com)
Sat, 21 Sep 1996 19:52:10 -0500

From: "Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
To: <www-html@w3.org>, <www-style@w3.org>, "Walter Ian Kaye" <boo@best.com>
Subject: Re: space (reply again, sorry)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 19:52:10 -0500

| >I currently use &nbsp; where needed, and rely on the hope that the
| >browser will take one NBSP and one breaking space to make 2 spaces,
but

| The trouble with NBSP is that it's not a real #32 space -- well, not
in
| graphical browser anyway, only in Lynx in 7-bit approximations mode.

Ok, they are defining it as 160, but, just because that character is
blank, did the ISO standard really mean to call it a non breaking
space? ... if so, where is &shy(its not defined in the HTML 3.2 spec,
bad idea IMHO), and what about a HARD or nonbreaking hyphen, and what
is &cbsp?

| I seem to recall that HTML 3.0 had a "NOFOLD" tag to prevent the
folding
| of whitespace. I wish we had that now...

I don't remember NOFOLD, but it did have a NOWRAP attribute, just like
it had a CLEAR attribute ... a couple of things that could really be
used... (I hate using <BR CLEAR..> for what it does for LYNX...