Re: space

Peter Flynn (pflynn@curia.ucc.ie)
23 Sep 1996 10:35:35 +0100

Date: 23 Sep 1996 10:35:35 +0100
From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Subject: Re: space
To: msftrncs@htcnet.com
Cc: lee@piclab.com, www-html@w3.org

   <SENTENCE>This is a sentence.<SENTENCE>A this is another...
                               ^
The period is probably unnecessary, as it can be inferred from the
markup :-)

   Anyway, I think the point stands ... "hinting" is not a good idea ...
   while I can't stress it as a requirement, something that litterally
   denotes that a larger space should be made would be more appropriate...
    HTML 3.0 supposedly had something like this...

It would make more sense, as you describe, to say _why_ you want more
formatting becomes trivial.

   And I don't know about you, but my english teacher would have flunked
   me for not including two space between sentences in any typed or
   electronic written work...  Seems to me its a requirement! :( (he'd
   also require double spacing and etc...)

You've misunderstood the point: it's fine in typewritten work, or in
email read in fixed-pitch fonts. It's not meaningful in printers fonts
(on paper or screen).

///Peter