Fw: end tags... (fwd)

MegaZone (megazone@livingston.com)
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 23:44:00 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Fw: end tags... (fwd)
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 23:44:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>

Once upon a time Carl Morris shaped the electrons to say...
>| But, I use a browser as a validator!  I try anyway... but MSIE
>doesn't

VERY bad.

I have yet to see any browser that functions as a solid validator.
MSIE and NS most certainly do *NOT* do good validation.

This is not to be unexpected.  Browsers are meant to display things
to the user, and most users don't want to deal with a browser refusing
to handle a page becuase the author has cocked it up.  So browsers are
not written to be strict - they attempt error recovery to different
degrees.  It is an art of compromise.

But you should never rely on a browser to do validation - the only
validator you can count on is an SGML parser using the proper DTD.

-MZ
Phone: 800-458-9966 510-426-0770 FAX: 510-426-8951 megazone@livingston.com
Snail mail: 6920 Koll Center Parkway  #220, Pleasanton, CA 94566
See me in person: Internet Expo, Boston, MA, October 16-17, Booth 422 ;-)