Re: <resouce>, links, and addresses [was: W3C and Handle technology ]

Arnoud (
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 19:51:21 +0200

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: <resouce>, links, and addresses [was: W3C and Handle technology ]
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 19:51:21 +0200

In article <>,
"Marc Salomon" <> wrote:
> ID is an ISO-8879 way to attach a document unique identifier to an element.
>  The document won't parse if it contains non-unique ID's.
> NAME is a CDATA attribute, uniqueness of which doesn't effect parsing, but
> would confuse a browser in rendering or dereferencing.

Agreed, but I was asking about situations like this one:

<P ID=someid>
<A NAME=someid>The</A> first example we will consider is...

This is a naming conflict, but it's necessary to ensure backward
compatibility with non-ID browsers.

> Language in the URL spec hints that this might be the case.  The Wilbur DTD
> defines ID as does SGML with no special hints as to its architectural role.

I didn't see any mention of the ID attribute in the Wilbur DTD.

- --
E-mail: .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <>