Re: A Simple Question... I Think...

Stuart Young wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Alan Thomson wrote:
>
> > I would like to include a file in the middle of a web page. Something like:

> > <BODY ...>
> > <H1>Current List</H1>
> > *** tag to include the HTML formatted page ***
> > <P>Questions or comments, contact ...
> > </BODY>
> > </HTML>
> >
> > Is there such a tag? The included file will contain HTML (which I will be creating).
> > I don’t want to use a script to do this. I was hoping that there was a clean way to
> > do this with HTML.
>
> There is no 'real' way of doing this just yet. I (and others) have been
> involved in a discussion about using <OBJECT> in such a way (in many
> different forms), but of course, nothing we are discussing is implemented
> in any browsers.
>
> The only real way at the moment is to use a script on the server side.

You'll soon be able to use <OBJECT DATA="file.html">Alternative
text</OBJECT>, with WIDTH and HEIGHT attributes if needed. See Dan
Connolly's message earlier today.

<BODY ...>
<H1>Current List</H1>
<OBJECT DATA="page.html">
  Your browser doesn't understand embedded HTML, instead you can
  <A HREF="page.html">click here</A>
</OBJECT>
<P>Questions or comments, contact ...
</BODY>