Re: Frames and Documents (fwd)

On Wed, 8 Sep 1976, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> At 5:10p +0300 09/07/96, Stephanos Piperoglou wrote:
> >On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Paul Prescod wrote:
> >
> >> I don't have any problem with having documents from different URLs appearing
> >> in different frames, but don't you think that the syntax for linking
> >> together the different documents should be orthogonal from the syntax for
> >> determining what frames they go in? I am thinking about something like this:
> >
> >*I* don't have a problem with seperate documents in each frame, but how do
> >you reference a specific document in a specific frame, at a specific
> >position, in a different HTML document?
>
> Isn't that what TARGET is for? The HREF points to the document itself, and
> the TARGET specifies what frame to use.

This won't work if you haven't actually gone through a frameset document. If
I want to reference a specific document in a specific frame in a specific
frameset, but I do this from OUTSIDE the frameset, in a page that might not
have any frames at all, then the TARGET attribute has no meaning because the
user agent has no way of knowing which frames are there, where they are and
what they're called.

Perhaps a LINK REL=frameset would remedy this problem? The glitch in
Netscape's spec is that it specifies the frameset document, but affter you
load it all you get is it's name stuck in a URL (since there is no way to
specify a URL that contains all frames), in your "View Source" option, and
on your display. No way to reference anything except the initial documents
that the frameset specifies, unless you don't mind seeing them full-screen
and missing possibly important content.

== Stephanos Piperoglou = spip@hol.gr = http://users.hol.gr/~spip/ ==
 If my opinions were my employers', they'd be pretty wierd opinions.
"I want peace on earth and good will toward man"
"We're the United States Government, we don't do that sort of thing!"
                           - Whistler and Abbot from `Sneakers'

                                            ...oof porothika! (tm)