Re: OFF-TOPIC: Provider blues

Stuart Young (nakor@glasswings.com.au)
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 00:17:20 +1000 (EST)

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 00:17:20 +1000 (EST)
From: Stuart Young <nakor@glasswings.com.au>
To: Shawn Steele <shawn@aob.org>
cc: www-html@w3.org, Sean Howard <showard@visdesigns.com>
Subject: Re: OFF-TOPIC: Provider blues

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Shawn Steele wrote:

> > Now the fun part. It won't mirror the deleting of files. You
> > actually have to call or email someone to delete files from a site
> > If you rename a file, you end up with the old AND the new on the live
> > server. Talk about Ghost page mania. You should have seen us until we
> > finally straightened out what was going on... <s>
>
> Ick!  IMHO deleting files in the first place is a really bad thing to
> do.  They stay with the indexes and as people's links FOREVER! (or at
> least close to it.)  Renaming is almost worse because then you haven't
> even gotten rid of the content.  (Which, presumably, would be the
> reason to delete a file.)  We try hard to make sure that pages we
> create will stay there and not vanish in the future.

I would suggest the easiest way if you 'do' change your site to this
extent is to create a 'dummy' file that tells the user the page has been
replaced, and/or points them to a new page that corresponds to their
topic of interest, or alternatively, the head of that section or the home
page.

I doubt that overwriting files would be a problem...

| Stuart Young (aka Cefiar)  - You may be human, but you're still animals! |
| nakor@glasswings.com.au - If you've done 6 impossible things, write HTML |