Re: Question: implementing a HTML

At 1:49p -0500 10/22/96, Carl Morris wrote:

>While DOS allows the other slash, its not formal to use it.  If you use
>UNIX, fine, use Unix's /, but when you use a DOS computer its \.  When

I wasn't talking about OS pathnames, I was talking about URLs.

>you use a WWW server, its of course /, but the Windows based server I
>have converts then all to \ for proper operation of the OS.  Also, with

When it goes to fetch the file, yes. What I'm saying is to LET THE
SOFTWARE do the conversion for you.

>MSIE, specifying C:/ ... will only result in a updated URL bar that has
>them back the otherway (which only sometimes happens).

I can't speak to MSIE; I use Nav3.

>A URL is always
>dependent of the operating system it works on, because to some,
>"some/file" may not be a directory, and neither might "some\file"...
>(okay, I have yet to see where)...

WRONG. URLs are platform-independent. Read the RFC (1738, I think?).
It will tell you that a URL is NOT an OS pathname. It may sometimes
*resemble* one, but it is NOT one.

>For a DOS user, they had better keep with using the backslash, as
>someday DOS may not support the other, and many programs will not allow
>a slash in paths period (I myself am responsible for that in my own
>software), but if you want to use both OS types, then you might just
>have to get used (like I have) of using different separators on
>different machines.

As I said, a URL is NOT a pathname. For a MacOS user, paths are delimited
with colons, but I do not type "file://Disk:Folder:File.html", I type
"file:///Disk/Folder/File.html". Why? Because a URL is NOT a pathname.

Learn it, know it, live it. :)