Re: The Final Word on Browsers and the Future

Benjamin Franz (snowhare@netimages.com)
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 11:19:57 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 11:19:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Benjamin Franz <snowhare@netimages.com>
To: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
cc: walter@natural-innovations.com, www-html@w3.org
Subject: RE: The Final Word on Browsers and the Future

On 19 Oct 1996, Peter Flynn wrote:

>    Whenever I hit a site that ticks me off, I email the webmaster with a clip
>    of the offending HTML, and explain why it offends (such as text forced into
>    a table 600 pixels wide). Once in a while, it actually helps!
>
> I do the same, and even edit their HTML into shape to help them
> understand how they can achieve what they want _and_ remain compatible
> with the rest of the world. Works wonders on a few occasions.
>
> OK, how about a browser which would perform a rough parse and
> _automatically_ mail the webmaster (or the author, if identified) with
> the list of errors? I've been asked countless times if this exists
> (no) and if I'd like to make it a part of WebMail (not yet).

If you do this, webmasters will simply lock out your browser. Many sites
have *NO* central content control (think Netcom NOT Digital). The
webmaster is concerned with *keeping the site running* not *what people
put up* (unless it affects the server operation via usage overload for
example).

IOW: Automatic mailing by web browsers is a *BAD IDEA*.

--
Benjamin Franz