Re: Netscape 4.0 press release at their server

Peter Flynn (pflynn@curia.ucc.ie)
19 Oct 1996 17:23:58 +0100

Date: 19 Oct 1996 17:23:58 +0100
From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.0 press release at their server
To: preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com
Cc: mag@ncsa.uiuc.edu, www-html@w3.org

While outta my mind on rough red wine, I asked:

   | What's wrong with UNIX magic cookies?
   ---

   Nothing is wrong with UNIX magic numbers as an implementation of file
   typing, except that they are weakly integrated - they don't exist for
   many kinds of files, there is no registry or namespace allocation
   convention (actually, there is, or was, though I don't know how widely
   known it is or who is doing it now that AT&T no longer owns UNIX), there
   is no way to manipulate them, etc.

Good point...sounds like a case for an RFC here.

///Peter