Re: Netscape 4.0 press release at their server

Scott E. Preece (
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:35:36 -0500

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:35:36 -0500
From: "Scott E. Preece" <>
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.0 press release at their server

   From: Peter Flynn <>
|    *wrong*  The .doc extension is also commonly used for Framemaker
|    documents and for Interleaf documents, at least.
| Right. And a lot of other things too.
|    Why, oh why, has our industry (with the notable exception of Apple) been
|    unable to figure out how to do typed files?
| What's wrong with UNIX magic cookies?

Nothing is wrong with UNIX magic numbers as an implementation of file
typing, except that they are weakly integrated - they don't exist for
many kinds of files, there is no registry or namespace allocation
convention (actually, there is, or was, though I don't know how widely
known it is or who is doing it now that AT&T no longer owns UNIX), there
is no way to manipulate them, etc.

scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550
internet mail: