Re: Netscape 4.0 press release at their server

Scott E. Preece (preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com)
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:35:36 -0500

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:35:36 -0500
From: "Scott E. Preece" <preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com>
To: pflynn@curia.ucc.ie
CC: mag@ncsa.uiuc.edu, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.0 press release at their server

   From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>

|    *wrong*  The .doc extension is also commonly used for Framemaker
|    documents and for Interleaf documents, at least.
|
| Right. And a lot of other things too.
|
|    Why, oh why, has our industry (with the notable exception of Apple) been
|    unable to figure out how to do typed files?
|
| What's wrong with UNIX magic cookies?
---

Nothing is wrong with UNIX magic numbers as an implementation of file
typing, except that they are weakly integrated - they don't exist for
many kinds of files, there is no registry or namespace allocation
convention (actually, there is, or was, though I don't know how widely
known it is or who is doing it now that AT&T no longer owns UNIX), there
is no way to manipulate them, etc.

scott

--
scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550