Re: Netscape 4.0 press release at their server

At 6:48p -0700 10/18/96, David Perrell wrote:
>Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>> >and how does this facilitate interoperability with other systems?
>>
>> Umm... it's standardized? You'll know that a file type of 'PNTG' is a
>> MacPaint file, regardless of what application created it. ...
>
>Who'll know? An NT machine won't know. And I won't know by looking at
>the filename on an FTP site if it doesn't have an extension.

Well you wouldn't know if it's worth downloading either! A filename could
say "Whistler's Mother", but Whistler might be a bovine creature for all
you know until you see the picture. Meta-information can't be fully
expressed in a filename, which is where technologies such as MCF come in.
See <http://mcf.research.apple.com/> for more info.

>I'm thankful "our industry (with the notable exception of Apple)" chose
>not to do typed files (and forking file systems). Every OPSYS with a
>central database of 'registered' file types? <shudder>

Kinda like every country in the world with its own rules. A world government
would be nice, but we ain't there yet. We know we'll be embarrassed when an
extraterrestrial asks to be taken to our leader, and we can't oblige...