Re: Netscape 4.0 press release at their server

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:48:21 -0700

From: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: <www-html@w3.org>, "Walter Ian Kaye" <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.0 press release at their server
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:48:21 -0700

Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
> >and how does this facilitate interoperability with other systems?
>
> Umm... it's standardized? You'll know that a file type of 'PNTG' is a
> MacPaint file, regardless of what application created it. ...

Who'll know? An NT machine won't know. And I won't know by looking at
the filename on an FTP site if it doesn't have an extension.

I'm thankful "our industry (with the notable exception of Apple)" chose
not to do typed files (and forking file systems). Every OPSYS with a
central database of 'registered' file types? <shudder>

Kinda '1984'-ish.

David Perrell