Re: Running Applications

Peter Flynn (pflynn@curia.ucc.ie)
11 Oct 1996 16:29:24 +0100

Date: 11 Oct 1996 16:29:24 +0100
From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Subject: Re: Running Applications
To: francis@di.uminho.pt
Cc: www-html@w3.org

   How can I execute an application

	   Binary Executable (application/octet-stream) (exe,bin)

   immediately after download it from the Internet through a Browser, without
   saving it to disk?

I don't think you can. It's an executable, it has to reside on disk.
How do you download something _without_ saving it to disk?

   The goal is to install automatically a software package, running first
   the setup application. I know that this could be dangerous in security
   terms. But this case, is a particular case, where I know what software
   pack I will run.

I know you can specify for example that ZIP files always spawn
pkunzip.exe or winzip.exe and they will run and unzip the file,
but internally, I think they always save the file to temporary disk
first. How about equating the filetype with c:\command.com?

///Peter