Re: Running Applications

Abigail (
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 11:15:15 -0400 (EDT)

Subject: Re: Running Applications
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 11:15:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Abigail" <>

You, Stuart Young, wrote:
++ On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Francisco Pinto wrote:
++ > How can I execute an application
++ >
++ > 	Binary Executable (application/octet-stream) (exe,bin)
++ >
++ > immediately after download it from the Internet through a Browser, without
++ > saving it to disk?
++ Without saving it to disk is 'hard' indeed! In fact, I'd say it'd at
++ least get saved to disk as a cache measure.
++ > The goal is to install automatically a software package, running first
++ > the setup application. I know that this could be dangerous in security
++ > terms. But this case, is a particular case, where I know what software
++ > pack I will run.
++ This alos depends what browser you are running. I know there is a plug-in
++ for netscape that is specifically for installing software, but I have NO
++ IDEA of how much it costs to use/liciense on either end, or whatever!

Why would you want to buy a plug in for that? Because 'plug in' is a
buzz word? Make use of the HTTP protocol. The server sends what kind of
a file it is, and most, if not any, browser can be configured what to
do when getting a file of a certain type. For Netscape 3.0, go to
options/general preferences/helpers.

Now, what has this question to do with HTML?