Re: Composite DTD

Peter Flynn (
07 Oct 1996 09:22:58 +0100

Date: 07 Oct 1996 09:22:58 +0100
From: Peter Flynn <>
Subject: Re: Composite DTD

> 	What is involved in registering a DTD, so that the ultimate
> Consensus Composite DTD (CCDTD) might be made selectable via the
> online validation services (I tried to induce Kinder, Gentler to
> fetch a DTD via a URL in the DOCTYPE declaration, and nothing I
> tried worked 8-)?

There is no central registry of DTDs that I know of, but my consultancy
is registering under ISO 9070 with the GCA, so the current FPI will
eventually get a + at the start instead of a -. Ideally a 9070 server
could locate the Public Owner's coordinates in cyberspace and look in
some de facto or de jure directory for the specified DTD, eg

   <!doctype html "+//FooBar/DTD HTML X//EN">

Could be interpreted as "find" and when found,
"look in /dtd for html_x.dtd".

Parsing browsers like Panorama still need to pick up directions via
an entity management system, but I see no reason why the future should
not permit the SYSTEM component of a DOCTYPE declaration to be a URL:

<!doctype html public
 "-//FooBar/DTD HTML X/EN" "">

Does anything support this yet?