Re: White letters...

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 10:19:05 -0800

From: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: "Stuart Young" <nakor@glasswings.com.au>,
Cc: <par@etc.pt>, <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: White letters...
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 10:19:05 -0800

Stuart Young wrote:
> The problem is that Netscape 'can' detect wether the printer in use
is
> color/colour or monochrome, and therefore IT should automatically
turn it
> on 'for' the user if it is monochrome.

Please, no.

I guess most people print web pages for the textual content. I sure
don't want a browser deciding that, because I have a color printer, I
must want the page printed WYSIWYG. (Consider the cost of printing many
pages of large yellow type on a dark wood-grain background.)

The user should be given a choice between WYSIWYG and maximum
legibility at minimal cost.

Here's another use for a client-side style setting. Allow the user to
set up a printer style. On the printer dialog box have radio buttons:

    (*) Print using printer style
    ( ) Print using display style

The first option would use the client's printer stylesheet, which would
default to black type on a white background.

The second option would try to match the appearance of the display,
using either color or grayscale.

David Perrell