charset info

Tom Schlarman (tschlarm@Adobe.COM)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:30:57 -0700

From: "Tom Schlarman" <tschlarm@Adobe.COM>
To: "wwwhtml" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: charset info
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:30:57 -0700

Hi all,

Is there a list of charsets that are allowed?  I have looked thru a bunch
of RFC docs and got a few, but I found the following one on a MS Japanese
site which raised a question.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=x-sjis">

seems to be the same as (as far as MSIE3.01 is concerned, anyway):

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-2022-jp">

Is there a list of all the charsets accepted and any equivalents posted on
the web anywhere?

I've seen the iso-8859-1 thru iso-8859-9.  I'm more interested in sets
specifying JIS, Shift-JIS, Korean and the asian languages.

Also, what is the proper charset definition for the (PC) Windows character
set?

Thanx in advance,

Tom