Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax

On Nov 13,  1:00pm, David Perrell wrote:

> Perhaps the above paragraph should be expanded to read:
>
> "The hexadecimal RGB (#rgb) notation can be any multiple of three
> digits. In the case where an output device has greater color resolution
> than the RGB values, the values are expanded by replicating digits. For
> example, the 12-bit value #fb0 is expanded to #ffbb00 for 24-bit
> output. In the case where an output device has less color resolution
> than the RGB values, the insignificant digits are ignored. For example,
> the 48-bit color value #ff12bb120012 is reduced to #ffbb00 for 24-bit
> output."

Although perhaps the example should be something like

#ff12bb830012 -> #ffbc00

> There was a suggestion a while ago to expand the CSS color triplet
> notation to include alpha channel in the color spec, as in
>
>            rgba(255, 127, 0, 63)
>
> This seems like a great idea. Why wait for CSS2?

It does seem like a great idea, and could work well with background
images, negative margins, etc. The rgba notation is good. As to whether
it makes it into CSS1 or a later spec, that is not my call. I suspect
the whole spec would need a good going over to see what happens if
things can now be semi-opaque.

> In this case it should be possible to mix value types in a triplet or
> quadlet(?) so that the above could be:
>
>            rgba(255, 127, 0, 25%)

Why? It isn't clear why being able to say

rgba (36, #bc, 0.7, 112%) is very valuable.

+33 93 65 79 87            06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France