Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax

Walter Ian Kaye (walter@natural-innovations.com)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:28:36 -0800

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:28:36 -0800
To: www-html@w3.org
From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax

At 11:31a -0500 11/12/96, Abigail wrote:
>Third, any syntax should be extendable, not limit to 3x8 bits.  It
>should also allow for 3x16, 3x24, etc bits. There's no need to have
>incompatible versions in the future.

Exactly. The MacOS standard has been 3x16 since 32-bit QuickDraw was
first introduced so many years ago. Since then, the color picker got
a plug-in architecture, where 0-65535 became supplemented by pickers
for 0-255 and 0%-100% scales. I think I even saw a "Netscape" color
picker for the Mac, which is sort of a 3x2.7 (total 216 colors) scale.

At 10:52a +0000 11/12/96, Peter Flynn wrote:
>> 	Right, this should be RGB as well. This is really only
>> for Macintosh compatibility. This percentage syntax is not anywhere
>> near as important as the RGB integer syntax, IMHO, but since most
>> people use Macs to design Web art these days...
>
>Are you saying that the % spec is proportionally congruent with the
>0-255 range, with 0:0/100:255 ? I don't have a Mac, so I'm not familiar
>with Mac expressions,

That's correct. :) The 0-100% color picker only shows integer values, btw
(someone asked about a decimal point), though that's a UI thing and wouldn't
affect any spec; just noting that a designer using that color picker would
not have any decimal points in his/her brain wrt that.