Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax

Walter Ian Kaye (walter@natural-innovations.com)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 10:06:00 -0800

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 10:06:00 -0800
To: www-html@w3.org
From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax

At 8:22a -0800 11/12/96, David Perrell wrote:
>Professional displays may someday be 48-bit.

MacOS has used 48-bit color for many years, and gets "downgraded"
for use with 24-bit HTML values.

>As for percentages of RGB, is there anyone out there who can actually
>visualize 20%R35%G67%B with any accuracy? I've never seen RGB color
>tables represented as decimal percentages. Specifying RGB in integer
>percentages effectively limits color choices to 6% of what's possible
>with 8-bit values.

6%? 101/256 = 39.45% on my calculator. Did you use the Pentium 'fdiv'? ;-)
I, for one, cannot visually discern 0-100% from 0-255 in rendered colors,
though I always go for precision to satisfy my techie nature. :)