Re: OBJECT: inserting textual "objects" into HTML.

Subir Grewal <grewals@acf2.NYU.EDU> wrote:
>[...]
><OBJECT type="text/html" data=/cgi-bin/text-counter/fullpath/to/doc
>></OBJECT>
>
>The CGI-script would simply return something like:
>
>76546 hits since August 12, 1996
>
>which the client would include.  [...]
>
>Wonder what people think.  I only brought this up since the OBJECT draft
>specifically mentions "multimedia objects" (which presumably excludes
>simple text objects) and a small Lynx test seemed to indicate that Lynx
>would not incorporate OBJECT data defined as type "text/html" (Fote?).

	No.  Lynx will create a link for the resolved DATA URL if you
toggle on links for IMG, FIG, OBJECT, APPLET, etc. sources, for passing
to a helper app, but it doesn't check if the TYPE is text/html or
text/plain instead of something which requires a helper app.

	What you describe is text/plain which would not be a problem
for Lynx to inline, but it's not clear what to really expect when
the TYPE claims text/html, i.e., whether as in your example it's in
fact something that could be inserted directly, or whether it's
a full html document that should be rendered separately and then
treated as an insert (which Lynx can't do until all those globals
which still burden it are incorporated into structures, and more of
its functions are made re-entrant).

				Fote