Re: OBJECT: inserting textual "objects" into HTML.

At 05:38 PM 11/3/96 -0500, you wrote:

>We were having a discussion on local NYU newsgroups about counters and the
>various drawbacks of counters based on images.  Then it occured to me that
>OBJECT can easily be used to support insertion of textual material into
>HTML as well.

We have discussed this many times here. The problem is that the semantics of
incorporating HTML "chunks" into other HTML must be rigorously defined,
which the OBJECT draft does not do. Are CSS properties inherited? Can you
hyperlink to "included" elements? Does the text show up in a box, as an
included Shockwave Object presumably would? Should a validator validate the
content within the box as if it were part of the original stream?

If the answer to all of those questions is just: "treat it as you would any
other opaque object", then Lynx should treat included HTML the way it would
treat included Shockwave: as a user-traverable hyperlink.

 Paul Prescod

---
Boycott Shell Oil worldwide!  http://www.web.apc.org/embargo/shell.htm

"Shell is here on trial and it is as well that it is represented by counsel
said to be holding a watching brief."..."The ecological war that the Company
has waged in the Delta will be called to question sooner than later." -Ken
Saro-Wiwa to the tribunal that later executed him.
http://www.goldmanprize.org/goldman/ken.html