Re: locked up..

Walter Ian Kaye (
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 13:48:38 -0800

Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 13:48:38 -0800
From: (Walter Ian Kaye)
Subject: Re: locked up..

At 1:20p 03/31/96, mouse wrote:
>is there a way to encode your  document when you are making it so that
>others cant get to it and mess it up?   someone i know somehow acessed
>another persons web page and changed a bunch of words around.  how can
>i make my page secure???

Just make sure the permissions are properly set (i.e., not group- or
world-writeable). My pages with server-side includes are chmod 755, which
means owner can read/write/execute and others can read/execute but not
write. Your ISP should be able to tell you what is appropriate for their
web server.

Some examples:

  owner  group  world
  7/rwx  5/r-x  5/r-x (pages with SSI's)
  6/rw-  4/r--  4/r-- (regular pages, images)
  6/rw-  6/rw-  0/--- (access counter files -- my server, anyway)

chmod 644 *.html