Re: <insert> and external entity references

Paul Prescod (papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca)
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:56:30 -0500

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:56:30 -0500
To: Abigail <abigail@tungsten.gn.iaf.nl>
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: <insert> and external entity references
Cc: www-html@w3.org

At 04:58 PM 3/20/96 +0100, Abigail wrote:
>I am not concerned about the technical implementations but how can I
>as a user indicate I prefer my headings to be centered, if I do not
>know which element is going to be used as headers? And that is
>possible if each document has its own DTD. Perhaps it is possible,
>I just cannot see how.

Here are a few ideas:

You could require HTML-like element names (although it restricts you to
HTML-like DTDs. I don't consider this a long-term solution).

You could put some level of indirection into the style sheet language so
that "<TITLE> in <REPORT>" maps to a
standardized style name like "TOP_LEVEL_HEADING_STYLE", and so does <H1>.

You could have a "mapping style sheet" (or LPD, or Attribute) express an
equivalence between arbitrary elements (like <TITLE>) and HTML elements
(like <H1>).

You could ship code that does an actual transform from the other DTD into
HTML at either the server or client sides.

 Paul Prescod