Re: Popup windows with <TABLES>, <FOOTNOTES> and <DIV>?

Heikki Vesalainen (wes@clinet.fi)
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 08:57:14 -0800

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 08:57:14 -0800
From: Heikki Vesalainen <wes@clinet.fi>
To: Charles Peyton Taylor <CTaylor@wposmtp.nps.navy.mil>
Cc: The W3 HTML group <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Popup windows with <TABLES>, <FOOTNOTES> and <DIV>?

Hi!

(my original popup proposal is at
http://www.clinet.fi/~wes/popup.html)

> Is there a reason why ppl aren't looking at modifying
> the target?  (ie. making a paragraph, table, or <div>
> a pop-up regardless of where it's linked from.)

Could you be more spesific?  If a table was a popup, when would it be
rendered (when would it pop up)?  How would you achieve the compatibility
with older versions, as all the browsers cannot be updated at once?

> I don't think opening a whole new window is the way to
> go, partly since that's already availble from the user's
> standpoint, (at least in Netscape.)

Your thought isn't clear!  How can we have popup windows with out opening
a small new window for the purpose?

The Netscape allways opens a new window the size of the old window.  You
cannot determine which size the new window would be.

How about we add the Width and Height to A HREF tag?

ps. am I being too consearned with compatibility with the older browsers?

--
Heikki Vesalainen
http://www.clinet.fi/~wes/