Feedback on Anchors (Was: A thought....)

Chris Josephes (
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 22:11:40 -0600 (CST)

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 22:11:40 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Josephes <>
Subject: Feedback on Anchors (Was: A thought....)

>Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 17:41:40 +0000
>From: "Bryan A. Bentz" <>
>Subject: A thought

>It occurred to me that when a user clicks on an <A HREF="blah"..> it
>might be nice to offer some kind of immediate feedback, from the page
>on which the <A HREF...> occurs.

I think the feedback would be a good idea, but.....

>Perhaps this functionality could be achieved, not by nesting, but by
>allowing other attributes:

Something like this might be better achieved through a stylesheet

A:click {audio:}
A:desc {audio:}

Implementing new tags isn't always the solution, and it tends to
immediately label browsers that don't implement certain tags/attributes
(or never even had a chance to make such implementations) as uncool.

Plus, in the end, this would help ensure that the reader has more control
over changes such as this.  I have a feeling that if something like this
was offered soon, it'd be easily abused or misused by authors.

Actually, what if there was an even simpler mechanism, such as

<LINK REL=audioscheme TITLE="WackyNoise" HREF="....">

Where the referenced file would be a multi-part MIME doc with .au or .wav
files, each one assigned to a certain action.  I'm guessig that it'd be
limited to actions such as clicking a link, or submitting a form, but
then again what else do we really need?  Most browsers out there already
give good visual feedback in the status bar.

>Bryan Bentz

Email |
Web   |