Re: Aha, so that's what HTML is! (hahaha)

Adam M. Costello (
Sat, 22 Jun 1996 16:49:28 GMT

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 16:49:28 GMT
From: (Adam M. Costello)
Subject: Re: Aha, so that's what HTML is! (hahaha)

On Sat, 22 Jun 1996, Melt van Schoor wrote:

> What's the definition of a home page anyway? I've seen it used to
> refer to basically anything...

Benjamin Franz <> replied:

> I think it is not so much that it can refer to anything as it refers
> to different things in different contexts.
> 1) A homepage as the top level 'entrance page'
>  to a web site ( or
>  Homepage in this
>  context is the idea of a 'homebase page' or place to begin from and
>  perhaps to return to.
> 2) A homepage as the entire collection of pages on a *personal*
>  web 'sub-site' (*).
>  Homepage here is used in the idea of 'My home. My place. My personal
>  space.'

I don't see the distinction you're trying to make.

Long ago, before the term "home page" entered common usage, someone (I
don't know who) suggested that a "home page" was a page that appeared
when you first started your browser, and reappeared when you clicked on
the "Home" button (or equivalent).  Makes sense, yes?  Ideally, a home
page in this sense should contain a variety of useful links pointing all
over the place.

On the other hand, the term "welcome page" was suggested for a page at
the conceptual entrance to a corner of the Web, whether it belonged to
an organization or an individual.  Ideally, it tells what's available
in this area and mainly provides pointers inward, as opposed to a home
page, which provides pointers outward.

I thought these were good terms, and I still use them myself on my own
welcome page <>.  It's a shame this usage
didn't catch on--it makes more sense.

(Sorry this isn't really on-topic for this list, but it's one of my pet