Re: Aha, so that's what HTML is! (hahaha)

On Sat, 22 Jun 1996, Melt van Schoor wrote:

> At 02:52 PM 96/06/21 -0700, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
> >"If you are familiar with the HTML homepage authoring language..."
> >

> >So that's what it is... a homepage authoring language. <g>
> >
> heh heh...
>
> What's the definition of a home page anyway? I've seen it used to refer to
> basically anything...

I think it is not so much that it can refer to anything as it refers to
different things in different contexts.

1) A homepage as the top level 'entrance page' to a web site
 (http://www.myserver.com/ or http://www.myserviceprovider.com/~myaccount/).
 Homepage in this context is the idea of a 'homebase page' or place to
 begin from and perhaps to return to.

2) A homepage as the entire collection of pages on a *personal* web
 'sub-site' (http://www.myserviverprovider.com/~myaccount/*).
 Homepage here is used in the idea of 'My home. My place. My personal
 space.'

--
Benjamin Franz