Re: Comments in HTML (fwd)

Martijn Koster (
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:14:56 -0700

To: MegaZone <>
Subject: Re: Comments in HTML (fwd)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:14:56 -0700
From: Martijn Koster <>

In message <>, MegaZone writes:

> Once upon a time shaped the electrons to say...
> > [...] browser authors accepted any > to terminate a comment
> IMHO - bullshit.  There is no reason you have to support it.

Ehr... installed base? :-)
> NS 2.0 and up does not.

Actually, it appears the latest and greatest from Netscape supports both :-)

For example, try:

   <! this is not a > comment

   <!-- that was not a > commentary --->

in Navigator 3.0b4-96135 this prints:

which happens to be what you want.

If you do a view source the proper comment is in italics,
and the first line isn't.

> It is *wrong* and WILL BREAK valid comments.  Any browser that supports it
> is miserably broken and I will recommend to anyone using it that they
> drop it.

Doesn't break if you do the above. Remember "be liberal in what you accept"...
Easy enough lexer change... (he says just having done it in WebCrawler :-)

-- Martijn (wishing everyone collaborated on HTML parsing...)