Fixing errors in HTML (fwd)

MegaZone (megazone@livingston.com)
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 15:25:08 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Fixing errors in HTML (fwd)
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 15:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>

Once upon a time Kenneth.Holmlund@tp.umu.se shaped the electrons to say...
>What I want to know is:
>  1) Is there a handy piece of software (perl script
>  or whatever) that can check that all tags that
>  are supposed to be closed are closed, that there

For HTML files I use Weblint and the WebTechs SGML parser.

Weblint is:

Weblint is available via anonymous ftp, either as a gzip'd tar file,
or zip'd archive:
        ftp://ftp.khoral.com/pub/weblint/weblint-1.015.tar.gz
        ftp://ftp.khoral.com/pub/weblint/weblint.zip
or you can get it from the weblint home page:
        http://www.khoral.com/staff/neilb/weblint.html
The home page also includes a list of other ftp sites where you
can get weblint.

1.016 is the current version, I haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

>  are no missing "'s etc., i.e. a minor syntax checker
>  that can be applied on forms input ?

I'm not sure what you mean.

>  2) One can also do a pretty dirty thing by
>  putting in a whole bunch of closing tags
>  after each part in a dynamic document such
>  that anchors, headers, etc really are closed

Not that I know of, but if you do this many validators will puke on it telling
you you are closing non-open tags.

-MZ
Phone: 800-458-9966 510-426-0770 FAX: 510-426-8951 megazone@livingston.com
Snail mail: 6920 Koll Center Parkway  #220, Pleasanton, CA 94566